Ahhh, a drink of water for the skin! How intriguing.
I was very excited to try this on my dry, maturing skin (I’m in my late 30s at the time of this review).
While this product promises a cooling sensation upon application, I often experienced a mild burning. Although this wasn’t too uncomfortable – and it didn’t seem to upset the mild rosacea on the sides of my cheeks – as far as being a drink of water for my face, I’d have to say it was more like a sticky layer of essential oils in a gel. However, I do think certain skin types would benefit from this lotion.
Keep reading this review to find out if this Rainforest of the Sea product will give your skin a refreshing gulp of H2O, or leave you high and dry.
DISCLAIMER: This product was purchased by the blogger. Neetzy.com received NO compensation from Tarte for this review. This review does not represent medical or professional advice, it is an opinion only. Photographs may not depict the exact color of the product.
MANUFACTURER’S DESCRIPTION OF MOISTURIZER
- “A refreshing, lightweight gel moisturizer to help quench dry, dehydrated skin” – from the Tarte website
- “The cooling, water gel texture never feel greasy” – from product packaging
- hypoallergenic, dermatologist tested, and “vegan friendly”
- formulated without parabens, mineral oil, phthalates, sodium lauryl sulfates, and gluten
- size is 1.7 fl. oz (50 mL)
- moderately transparent with a white/blue tinge
- contains Blue 1 (CI 42090)
- noticeable notes of citrus and lavender
- not overwhelming
- natural-smelling (no artificial notes)
- scent doesn’t linger
- moderately transparent gel-like lotion
- not overly slick and slippery, but aqueous
- contains silicons, but not as slippery as some daily moisturizers
HOW TO APPLY
The Tarte website recommends applying this moisturizer to neck and face after washing. They suggest using this product in the morning and at night for best results.
However, this is a bit of a fussy product, needing about 5-10 minutes to dry enough so you can apply foundation over it. Also, it never completely dries, but stays moist and somewhat sticky.
- provides light moisturizing (likely better for oily skin)
- creates a matte appearance
- makes a really smooth surface for make-up application (when applied thinly)
- more of a light day lotion rather than a night moisturizer
TIPS FOR APPLICATION
- always apply one thin layer for best results
- applying a thicker layer will likely cause your make-up to pill
- use less than you would of typical moisturizer (using too much will leave a really sticky residue on your skin)
- even a thin layer requires about 5-10 minutes to absorb enough for make-up application
- this product never dries completely even when a thin layer is applied (remains tacky)
YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS TARTE RAINFOREST OF THE SEA MOISTURIZER IF:
- you don’t mind products containing silicone
- you want a day cream that is really light (and acts like a primer)
- you want a mattifying moisturizer
- are are looking for an oil-free lotion
- you don’t mind a product that dries to a slightly sticky texture
- you want a light-weight moisturizer that is more like a gel than a lotion
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN TARTE RAINFOREST OF THE SEA MOISTURIZER?
Water, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Squalane, Phenoxyethanol, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Polysorbate 60, Caprylyl Glycol, Enteromorpha Compressa Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Disodium EDTA, Propanediol, Sea Salt Extract, Hexylene Glycol, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Phospholipids, Stearoyl Inulin, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Hyaluronic Acid, Silanetriol, Limonene, Citric Acid, Sorbic Acid, Sodium Anisate, Sodium Levulinate, Linalool, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Algae Extract, Gardenia Tahitensis Flower Extract, Blue 1 (CI 42090).
Contains Silicons? YES. Dimethicone
Preservatives Used: Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate.
NEETZY’S THOUGHTS ON TARTE RAINFOREST OF THE SEA DRINK OF H20 MOISTURIZER
This is a bit of a fussy product, much like the 100% Pure Cheek & Lip Tint previously reviewed. You really need to experiment with this product before you make it part of your daily beauty routine.
This product must be used in a thin layer, otherwise it will take forever to dry. When applying foundation or BB cream over this moisturizer, dabbing worked much better than rubbing.
I was impressed by how it prepped my skin for foundation – I tried a few oil-based foundations on top of it, and these products when on smoothly. I was also able to use much less make-up.
I would consider this moisturizer a light-weight day lotion/gel, having properties of a primer. I didn’t find it very moisturizing. Every time I washed my face after wearing it all day, my face had a layer of fine flaky skin. So, if you’re like me (dealing with dry, maturing skin), this product isn’t going to provide much moisturizing.
While I wouldn’t purchase this again, I think this Tarte product would be best for younger skin – perhaps for 20-somethings with normal to oily skin. If you have really sensitive skin, you may experience some tingling when you apply this product.
The thing to remember with this Tarte moisturizer is to apply a really thin layer and wait about 5 or 10 minutes. Patience.
WHERE TO BUY TARTE
US shoppers can find Tarte products at Sephora, Ulta, and online at Tartecosmetics.com.
Canadian shoppers can find Tarte at Sephora, and online at Tartecosmetics.com. Be sure to choose your country to shop in your currency.
The Tarte website ships to many international addresses. To see if Tarte will ship to your country, visit their International Shipping page.
- started in 1999 by Maureen Kelly, founder and CEO
- she was pursuing a doctorate in psychology at Columbia University, but dropped out to begin her cosmetics line out of her NYC apartment 
WAS THIS TARTE REVIEW HELPFUL?
Leave your thoughts below regarding this Tarte product. Be sure to SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on other thoughtful reviews.