I’m very excited to be reviewing the Swamp Queen palette by my favorite YouTuber, Grav3yardgirl. This is a collaboration she did with the cosmetic/skincare company Tarte.
The color scheme of the palette is mostly peach-themed colors and dusty mauve hues. There are 9 eyeshadows, 1 bronzer, 1 blush, and 1 highlighter.
While all the products contain Amazonian clay (kaolin), the main ingredient is either talc or mica (the kaolin in quite far down on the list of ingredients in each of the products).
The names of the colors will leave you totally baffled if you’re not familiar with Grav3yardgirl’s YouTube vlog. However, if you’re a fan you’ll immediately see the humor. If you watch her vlog, you’ll be quite familiar with the phrase, “Sippy, sippy – aahhhhh!”
Please note that the images of the Swamp Queen palette on the Sephora website are not exact – the colors are much darker in person.
If you aren’t familiar with Grav3yardgirl (a.k.a Bunny Meyer), you can check out one of her Does This Things Really Work? videos here.
Keep reading to see more accurate swatches of everything in this palette, and to find out if this Tarte palette would suit your personality.
DISCLAIMER: This product was purchased by the blogger. Neetzy.com received NO compensation from Tarte for this review. This review does not represent medical or professional advice, it is an opinion only. Photographs may not depict the exact color of the product.
MANUFACTURER’S DESCRIPTION OF SWAMP FAMILY PALETTE
- limited edition palette
- formulated without parabens, mineral oil, phthalates, triclosan, SLS, or gluten
- all products in this palette contain Amazonian clay
- made in USA (brush made in China)
- all products in this palette smell of vanilla with hints of white chocolate and caramel
- scent is quite noticeable but not overwhelming
- slight artificial aroma
- powdery and light-weight
- talc-like feel
- quite a bit of fall-out
- dusty consistency makes working with the palette messy
The 3 larger colors on the left side of the palette include a bronzer, a blush, and a highlighter.
- medium brown with peach undertones
- slight shimmer that’s mostly unnoticeable
- named after one of her favorite drinks
“DOES THIS THING REALLY WORK?”
- muted raspberry pink with tiny flecks of gold
- creates bold cheek color (apply lightly for a subtle look)
- slight shimmer when applied
- named after one of the video themes on her vlog
- very shimmery warm vanilla
The following are the 9 eyeshadow colors:
“#SFS (SWAMP FAMILY STRONG)”
- dusty light peach with rose undertones
- metallic finish
- homogeneous color (no flecks of other hues)
- light vanilla with peach undertones
- matte finish
- named after her favorite antique baby doll
- light dusty grey-mauve
- has a hint of peach/warm pink
- metallic finish with a few flecks of silver sparkle
- very shimmery gold with peach undertones
- strong metallic, homogeneous finish
- named after a hairstyle she often wears
- medium dusty mauve with pink undertones
- metallic finish
- brick brown (orange-y brown)
- matte finish with fine flecks of sparkle
- named after her husband
- deep coffee brown (matte) with large chartreuse sparkles
- sparkles are sparse when color is applied
- to make this color more sparkly, apply a base layer of this color, then tap additional coats on top
- originally, this was my favorite color, but it transfers during the day and looks messy (also, it’s not very sparkly when applied)
- dark muted purple with dusty grey and mauve undertones
- matte finish
- named after a black cat she previously owned
Here are a few last swatches of the 9 eyeshadows to give you a better idea of the texture and color when applied to skin.
The three lightest colors:
- pick up colors carefully with clean fingers or a brush to avoid making too much dust
- to make colors darker, apply a thin layer and gradually add more color over top by tapping onto skin with a brush or finger (this helps reduce the amount of fall-out and keeps the color in place better)
- perhaps use an eyeshadow primer for better results
- since the blush is tricky to apply due to its position in the palette, try applying the blush to the back of your hand first, then apply it to your brush from the back of your hand
- if you find the blush too dark, combine it with either “Natural Peaches”, “Big Baby”, or the highlighter to create a softer color
- while these products tend to transfer, you will need to use soap and water (or make-up remover) to fully remove them
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN SWAMP QUEEN PALETTE?
Sweet Tea (Bronzer)
Mica, Talc, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Boron Nitride, Zinc Stearate, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Vanillin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Hexylene Glycol, Vanilla Plantifolia Fruit Extract, Kaolin, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).
Does This Thing Really Work? (Blush)
Mica, Talc, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Silica, Boron Nitride, Zinc Stearate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Caprylyl Glycol, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Phenoxyethanol, Vanillin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Hexylene Glycol, Vanilla Plantifolia Fruit Extract, Tin Oxide, Kaolin, Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850).
Gator Wings (Highlighter)
Mica, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Talc, Zinc Stearate, Boron Nitride, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Vanillin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Hexylene Glycol, Vanilla Plantifolia Fruit Extract, Kaolin, Silica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491).
Below is an example of the ingredients in one of the eyeshadows (to see the ingredients of individual eyeshadows, please see these details at Sephora.com).
Sippy Sippy (Eyeshadow)
Talc, Mica, Silica, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Boron Nitride, Zinc Stearate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Vanillin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Hexylene Glycol, Vanilla Plantifolia Fruit Extract, Kaolin, Carmine (CI 75470), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Ultramarines (CI 77007).
Product contains Petroleum Ingredients: NO
Product contains Silicone-based Ingredients:YES
Preservative Used: Phenoxyethanol
Fragrance Used: Vanillin and Vanilla Plantifolia Fruit Extract
YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS SWAMP QUEEN PALETTE IF:
- you don’t mind dealing with chalky make-up
- you like peach and mauve hues
- you are looking for make-up that’s void of mineral oil and perfumes
- you could make good use of a bronzer, blush, and highlighter
NEETZY’S THOUGHTS ON SWAMP QUEEN PALETTE BY TARTE
I’ve not had any previous experience with Tarte make-up, and I’ll admit I’m a little disappointed with the dusty texture of this palette. The eyeshadows, blush, bronzer, and highlighter are very much talc-based which makes them very chalky. Thus, this palette was messy to apply and created a lot of fall-out.
The most difficult to apply was the blush since it was sandwiched between the bronzer and the hightlighter – I always ended up with some bronzer and highlighter on my brush when picking up the blush. To fix this, I squished my fluffy blush brush together with my fingers and carefully tapped it into the blush. Then I dabbed it onto the back of my hand to mix together any of the bronzer and highlighter I picked up. Then, from the back of my hand, I blended the colors before application.
The blush is quite dark, so you only need a little for a natural look. If you are aiming for a subtle look, tap off as much of the blush on your brush as possible before applying. Personally, this blush is too dark for my liking, so I blend it with “Big Baby” to make a light pink.
Mainly, I bought this palette to support Grav3yargirl because I love her quirky personality and her promotion of self-acceptance. While I don’t wear bronzer or highlighter, I will likely get lots of use from the eyeshadows “#SFS” and “Sassy Bun”.
Originally, I was in love with the eyeshadow “Sippy Sippy” until I experienced it was so messy to wear. Also, I was disappointed that the big chartreuse sparkles tend to fall off. While I really don’t like the chalky texture of these products, after experimenting I’ve come to the conclusion that the best way to wear the eyeshadows is to stick with one color (add several layers to your eyelid then create a light gradient upwards).
Palettes can be a relatively inexpensive way to get all your make-up products in one place. However, I’d recommend testing palettes in-store to make sure you like both the colors and the texture before purchasing.
I more or less bought this because I really like Grav3yardgirl and wanted to support her. So keep in mind, it’s not the easiest make-up to work with and you’ll likely want to test it before purchasing.
WHERE TO BUY GRAV3YARDGIRL’S TARTE PALETTE
This product is currently offered at Sephora for a limited time. It was previously available from the Tarte website.
At the time of publishing this review in 2016, the price for this palette was $45 USD or $59 CAD.
Neetzy.com is NOT an affiliate of Tarte or Sephora.
- began in 1999 from founder Maureen Kelly’s Manhattan apartment
- “Today Tarte is a leader in healthy, eco-chic beauty, offering cruelty-free cosmetics…” – from Tarte.com
WAS THIS REVIEW HELPFUL?
If so, please share via Facebook – or leave your thoughts below about this Tarte palette.