DISCLAIMER: This product was purchased by the blogger. Neetzy.com received NO compensation from Manitoba Harvest for this review. This review does not represent medical or professional advice, it is an opinion only. Photographs may not depict the exact color of the product.
MANUFACTURER’S DESCRIPTION OF PRODUCT
- protein bar made with hemp hearts
- vegan, non-GMO
- “an ideal choice for snacking on-the-go”
- “our chocolate flavor is the perfect way to satisfy your sweet tooth and curb that afternoon snack craving”
- made in Canada from domestic and imported ingredients
- contains 10 g of vegetable protein
- made with organic Dutch-process cocoa
- product size is 45 g
Manitoba Harvest offers a $1.00 coupon on their “Products” page for US and Canadian shoppers (valid for items larger than 56 g).
- dense and heavy (packed with hemp hearts)
- enjoyable, chewy consistency
- moist, not dry or crumbly
- mild chocolate flavor
- slight minty taste (could be due to the rosemary extract)
- predominant flavor is hemp hearts
- earthy-tasting due to high volume of hemp seeds (but not overwhelmingly earthy)
- flavored with organic cocoa mass, organic Dutch-process chocolate, and organic chocolate flavor
- non-GMO verified
- 4 g of fiber
- 10 g of protein and 35% of Daily Value of Iron
- 2.5 g of Omega-3 and 8 g of Omega-6
- contains organic ingredients (rice syrup, dutch-process cocoa, cocoa mass, chocolate flavor)
- note: hemp hearts are not organic
YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS MANITOBA HARVEST PRODUCT IF:
- you don’t mind the slightly earthy taste of hemp hearts
- you aren’t disappointed by the mild chocolate taste
- want a snack/meal replacement high in vegetable protein (10 g)
- like chewy, dense snacks
- want a snack containing organic ingredients (note: hemp hearts are not organic)
WOULD I PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT AGAIN?
MAYBE. I really like the simple ingredients in this protein bar (many of which are organic), and the fact a 45-g serving has 10 g of vegetable protein. This bar/snack isn’t big, but it is satisfying.
While this product has that earthy flavor associated with hemp hearts, the Dutch-process cocoa, cocoa mass, and chocolate flavoring (all of which are organic), camouflage some of this taste. However, I found the chocolate flavor in this hemp hearts bar lacking.
The texture of this product is very enjoyable – chewy, moist, and dense. Manitoba Harvest does not skimp on the hemp hearts in this product – it is loaded with these protein-rich seeds.
If I needed a quick meal replacement or snack, I would consider this hemp seeds bar, however, I would likely try another flavor. (Update: I tried the Vanilla version and liked it much better – I think the vanilla goes better with the earthy/nutty flavor of the hemp seeds).
ABOUT MANITOBA HARVEST
- based in Manitoba, Canada
- in 1993, the co-founders created the Manitoba Hemp Alliance
- received an A+ grade from BRC Global Standards for product quality
- a Certified B Corporation company
- visit their Products page for a $1.00 off coupon valid for items larger than 56 g (for US and Canadian consumers)
WHERE TO BUY
This is a partial list of retailers who carry this hemp hearts snack by Manitoba Harvest. Not all locations may carry this chocolate protein bar:
Atlantic Superstore (Canada)
Community Natural Food (Canada)
Planet Organic (Canada)
Plum Market (US)
Shoppers Drug Mart (Canada)
Sprouts Farmers Market (US)
Vitamin Shoppe (US)
Whole Foods Market (US)
This is a brief summary of some of the nutritional values in a 45-g hemp hearts chocolate protein bar:
Calories: 240 Fat: 16 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Carbohydrate: 13 g (Fiber: 4 g, Sugar: 8 g) Protein: 10 g Vitamin A: 20% Iron: 35%
Hemp Hearts, organic brown rice syrup, organic coconut palm sugar, organic cocoa mass, organic dutch-process cocoa, organic chocolate flavor, pectin, organic sunflower oil, rosemary extract.
WAS THIS REVIEW HELPFUL?
If so, please share – and leave a comment if you have tried this Manitoba Harvest product.