Anyone looking for a delicious, vegan toffee – rejoice!
While Chimes is known for its chewy ginger candy, lo and behold, they now make toffee.
This candy review features a gluten-free candy with an exciting concept – a crunchy toffee that substitutes coconut milk for butter. However, it tastes rich and buttery, exactly like a traditional hard toffee.
This coconut vegan toffee contains only 6 ingredients, and is available in a 3.5 oz (100 g) reclosable package.
DISCLAIMER: This product was purchased by the blogger. Neetzy.com received NO compensation from Chimes for this review. This review does not represent medical or professional advice, it is an opinion only. Photographs may not depict the exact color of the product.
MANUFACTURER’S DESCRIPTION OF PRODUCT
- “We take freshly pressed coconut milk and cook it with caramelized cane sugar to create a toasty toffee…”
- “The recipe is a classic from Malaysia, where it’s been a local treat for generations”
- gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free
- made in Malaysia
- contains sea salt
- crunchy and brittle (just like a traditional hard toffee)
- most pieces have noticeable crystals of sea salt throughout
- breaks into crackling shards that melt into a chewy candy in your mouth
- creamy consistency
- like eating real flakes of toasted coconut
- taste is very natural with no artificial aftertaste
- coconut flavor is nicely noticeable
- quite sweet, but balanced with an obvious saltiness
- rich, buttery taste (but doesn’t contain butter)
YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS PRODUCT IF YOU:
- like the flavor of natural toasted coconut
- enjoy the combination of sweet and salty
- want a dairy-free candy that tastes buttery
- are in need of gluten-free candy options
- like sweet crunchy candy
This dairy-free toffee has the brittleness and buttery consistency of real butter toffee. The added sea salt creates a really nice contrast and balance to the sweetness. While some products tout “sea salt”, too often I find it not very obvious (which equals disappointment). This Chimes candy has crystals of sea salt suspended throughout, adding texture and taste.
The main ingredient in this candy is fresh-pressed coconut milk, so it’s no wonder this product has such a true coconut flavor. It is actually the caramelized cane sugar that provides the toasty flavor.
These toffees are a little smaller than typical candy pieces, but they are packed with creaminess and flavor. Each candy is individually wrapped, making them easy to toss in your purse or pocket.
While I seem to always find something I don’t like about a product, I really have nothing critical to say about these toffees. While I used to consume a ridiculous amount of candy when I was in my teens and 20s, these days I eat less and less and don’t have much of a sweet tooth. However, this would be one candy that I’d buy again and again. It’s really true to it’s description, and shouldn’t disappoint if you like coconut.
If you have a candy craving – and like the mix of sweet and salty – this is a vegan toffee that’s worth trying.
ABOUT CHIMES GOURMET
- in 2003, launched company with three ginger candy flavors: Original, Peanut Butter, and Peppermint
- company has since expanded into organic beans, organic rice, dried mango slices, and organic crystallized ginger
- ginger candy are now available in these additional flavors: Mango and Orange
Coconut milk, cane sugar, tapioca glucose, palm oil, sea salt, soy lecithin.
NOTE: contains tree nuts (coconut) and soy. Made in a facility that processes milk.
WAS THIS CANDY REVIEW HELPFUL?
If so, please share – or leave a comment below if you’ve tried this Chimes gluten-free candy.