Here’s a flavored green tea for those of us who don’t like oceanic teas.
Oceanic is a term used by my local Davids Tea salesperson to describe that seaweed flavor found in some green blends. And I’m one of those people who can’t stomach pure green tea because, to me, it tastes fishy. I hate the taste of fish. Blah.
This is the first Davids tea sachet I’ve tried, and I was happy to discover both the wrapper and the sachet are biodegradable. Please note this almond tea blend is no longer available in tea bag format, but it’s still available as bulk tea.
I must say this 2.5-g tea sachet steeped a really nice 240-mL cup of tea – not too weak, not too strong, with a mild green flavor. Keep in mind that this tea sachet contains 2 teaspoons of tea, whereas the bulk tea steeping instructions call for 1.25 teaspoons of tea per 240 mL. Insert sound of crickets chirping here.
So, if you’re using the bulk tea, I’d suggest using 2 teaspoons per cup.
Keep reading to find out if this blend is your cup of tea.
DISCLAIMER: This product was purchased by the blogger. Neetzy.com received NO compensation from Davids Tea for this tea review. This tea review does not represent medical or professional advice, it is an opinion only. Photographs may not depict the exact color of the product.
MANUFACTURER’S DESCRIPTION OF ORGANIC ALMOND TEA
- contains both almonds and natural almond flavoring
- certified organic
- tea bag and individual wrapper are oxo-biodegradable
- low caffeine content
- green tea is from China
- each tea bag is 2.5 g
HOW TO STEEP
Steep one sachet in 240 mL (1 cup) of near-boiling water for 3-4 minutes. For most of their green tea, Davids Tea recommends using water that is 85°C (185°F), just slightly below boiling.
- medium yellow-green hue when steeped for 4-5 minutes
- artificial almond with just a hint of green tea
- smells of almond extract rather than real almonds
- the scent could fool you into thinking it smells like artificial cherry (i.e. red licorice or a cherry Lifesaver)
Here are several descriptions based on various steeping times.
STEEPED FOR 4 MINS, THEN BAG REMOVED:
- flavor is an equal mix of artificial almond flavor and green tea
- slight sweetness once the tea cools a little
- green tea flavor isn’t overwhelming but there is noticeable bitterness
STEEPED FOR 2 MINS, THEN BAG REMOVED:
- mild, yet noticeable artificial almond flavor
- very little green tea flavor
- no bitterness
YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS ORGANIC GREEN TEA IF:
- you like mild green blends (less ocean-tasting)
- you don’t mind the taste of almond extract
- you want a green tea that’s low in caffeine
NEETZY’S THOUGHTS ON THIS FLAVORED GREEN TEA
As mentioned earlier, I like milder green teas. While this tea doesn’t taste like natural almonds, the almond extract flavor isn’t too strong. Despite containing other ingredients, this organic green tea is a simple combination of subtle green tea and artificial almond notes.
While I tend to like my tea really strong, this was a blend that I actually enjoyed weaker. Just an FYI for those who don’t like bitter notes in their tea, steeping this almond tea for 2 minutes (then removing the bag) will yield less bitterness while maintaining the essence of almond extract.
WHERE TO BUY THIS ALMOND TEA
This product is available at Davids Tea retail locations and via their website.
ABOUT DAVIDS TEA
- founded by David Segal
- based in Montreal, Quebec (Canada)
- over 150 tea blends available at their retail locations
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN THIS FLAVORED GREEN TEA?
Green tea, almonds, marigold flowers, cornflower petals, and natural almond flavoring.
NOTE: Contains almonds.
WAS THIS TEA REVIEW HELPFUL?
If so, please share – or leave a comment below if you’ve tried this Davids green tea.