While this tea wouldn’t win an award for Most-Natural-Product, it could be in the running for Most-Interesting-Tea. At least as far as appearances go.
Like most of my Davids Tea purchases, I was drawn to the packaging – a cupcake-shaped box. Not only is it sold in cute packaging, it’s dotted with rainbow sprinkles, white chocolate curls, and lumps of real ice cream (freeze-dried).
It’s not the most exciting tea when steeped, but hey, you’ve gotta have a little fun in life every so often.
Keep reading this review to find out if this tea will satisfy your sweet tooth.
DISCLAIMER: This product was purchased by the blogger. Neetzy.com received NO compensation from Davids Tea for this tea review. This tea review does not represent medical or professional advice, it is an opinion only. Photographs may not depict the exact color of the product.
- “…rich, sweet and creamy” – from Davidstea.com
- made with black tea from China
- rated as having “Medium Caffeine”, which is level 2 on the Davids Tea caffeine scale
- contains freeze-dried ice cream pieces
- available for a limited time in a cupcake-shaped box (100 g), as well as in bulk from the tea wall
HOW TO STEEP
Using the recommended 1.25 tsp of loose tea per 240 mL of boiling water, and steeping for 4-7 minutes, produced a cup of tea that had virtually no recognizable flavor.
So, I tested this tea using more than the recommended amount of loose tea (typically, I find you need to use about 2 teaspoons of Davids loose tea per 240 mL of water). Below are two suggestions for making yourself a tastier cup of Ice Cream Cake black tea.
Using 2 tsp of loose tea, 240 mL of water, and steeping for 7 minutes:
AROMA OF STEEPED TEA
- creamy vanilla and black tea (with a hint of milk chocolate)
- tastes of creamy vanilla-flavored black tea with hint of strawberry
- touch of sweetness
- some bitterness due to black tea and stevia extract
- mild bitterness
Using 1 tablespoon of loose tea, 240 mL of water, and steeping for 7 minutes:
AROMA OF STEEPED TEA
- sweet vanilla, caramel, and molasses notes
- sweet, creamy black tea with hints of strawberry
- enjoyable bitterness
YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS ICE CREAM CAKE TEA IF:
- you want to try something fun
- you aren’t disappointed that the flavor is less exciting that the look of the tea
- you don’t mind the bitterness of stevia
Apparently this tea is supposed to represent a chocolate ice cream cake (though the pictures accompanying this tea online at Davids Tea show vanilla ice cream cones). This tea is mostly a black tea with sweetness from stevia extract and the other bits and bobs of sprinkles and freeze-dried ice cream, paired with some other muddles flavors such as vanilla and a glimpse of strawberry.
If you are looking for a tea that tastes more like cake, I’d suggest the Birthday Cake rooibos tea, which has buttercream notes. But if you’re in the mood for something fun, this tea is a pretty mish-mash of joyful sprinkles and curly pieces of chocolate.
WHERE TO BUY
This product is available at Davids Tea retail locations and via their website. The 2016 price for this tea is $8.50 CAD for 50 g (when purchased in Canada), and $9.50 USD for 2 oz. (when purchased in the USA).
Neetzy.com is NOT an affiliate of Davids Tea.
ABOUT DAVIDS TEA
- began in 2008 in the city of Montreal (Canada)
- Davids Tea retail stores are located throughout Canada and the USA
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN THIS ICE CREAM CAKE TEA?
Black tea, roasted carob, ice cream bits (milk, sugar, corn syrup, cocoa, salt, carrageenan, carob bean gum, cellulose gum, sucralose), white chocolate (sugar, cocoa butter, milk powder, whey powder, lactose, soy lecithin, natural vanilla flavoring), sprinkles (sugar, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, corn starch, corn syrup, soy lecithin, salt, natural and artificial flavor, confectioner’s glaze, carnauba wax, color (red 40, yellow5, yellow 6, blue 1)), cocoa, stevia extract, natural and artificial flavoring.
NOTE: contains dairy and soy.
WAS THIS TEA REVIEW HELPFUL?
If so, please share – or leave a comment below if you’ve tried this Ice Cream Cake tea.