Watermelon is the quintessential summer treat, but what about the seeds?
When you think of watermelon, you think of a juicy snack that’s highly refreshing but low in protein. However, the seeds contain 10 g of protein per 30-g serving, and only 170 calories. Although these Go Raw sprouted watermelon seeds are salted, they contain Celtic sea salt, and contain 170 mg of sodium per serving.
Other good stuff found in these flat, tiny white seeds include 15% of the Daily Value for iron, and 4% of the DV for calcium. Based on data found at nutritiondata.self.com, this 30-g serving of watermelon seeds also contains 38% of the DV for magnesium, 5% of the DV for potassium, and 20% of the DV for zinc!
- certified organic by Organic Certifiers and Canada Organic
- raw (gently dried) and sprouted
- “an excellent source of protein, magnesium and zinc” – from GoRaw.com
- non-GMO verified
- certified gluten-free
- certified vegan
- product of USA
DISCLAIMER: This product was purchased by the blogger. Neetzy.com received NO compensation from Go Raw for this review. This review does not represent medical or professional advice, it is an opinion only. Photographs may not depict the exact color of the product.
- light yellow/white
- high quality, clean, pristine seeds
- look like tiny pumpkin seeds
- crispy texture with a creamy consistency
- rich, nutty taste
- salty due to Celtic Salt
- 170 mg of sodium per 30 grams
- noticeable bitter finish
- bitter aftertaste that is somewhat like the flavor of red food coloring
- aftertaste doesn’t last long, though it is very noticeable
- bitterness is much less present if you add the seeds to salads and dishes
YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS PRODUCT IF:
- you want to add a new seed to your repertoire
- you like creamy, salty, nutty flavors
- you don’t mind the moderate – but very noticeable – bitter aftertaste
- you are looking for a product that is high in protein, iron, zinc, and magnesium
- you are looking for an organic source of vegan protein
Organic sprouted watermelon seeds, Celtic Sea Salt.
These seeds look something like a pumpkin seed, but smaller and thinner, with a lighter, creamier texture. They have a very palatable, delicate crispiness.
These Go Raw sprouted watermelon seeds are nicely salted with Celtic Salt, which compliments the yummy nutty flavor. The saltiness helps lessen the moderate bitterness. While the seeds have a very palatable nutty-salty-creamy flavor, the bitterness is something you will either love or hate. I found the bitterness to be too much when eating the seeds on their own, though I can handle eating a very small handful straight from the bag if I’m really hungry.
Adding these little seeds to salads is one way to get around the bitterness – this is how I tend to eat this Go Raw product. I almost gave up on these seeds due to the bitterness (which would have been a shame as they are a great source of protein, iron, zinc, and magnesium). However, by adding them to dishes I found a way to mask much of the bitterness while enjoying the crispy, rich flavor of the seeds.
WHERE TO BUY
I purchased this bag of Go Raw sprouted watermelon seeds at my local health food store. This 454 g bag cost $19.49 CAD, which I believe was a sale price.
This Go Raw product can be purchased from Vitacost.com for $11.69 USD for 284 g (10 oz).
Neetzy.com is NOT an affiliate of Go Raw or Vitacost.com.
ABOUT GO RAW
- founder and CEO is Robert Freeland
- product line includes a range of raw foods including bars, seeds, chocolate, granola, and more
- product line has grown to over 50 products
- based in San Jose, California