When I first tried this Glamglow moisturizer, I was immediately fascinated and in love with its peachy, gold glow. However, I wasn’t convinced it was a practical product due to the shimmer.
I recommend using this product for what it is – a moisturizer with a kiss of glimmer. Don’t try to cover up or conceal by applying layer over layer. Otherwise, you’ll look like a golden idol (which I’m guessing isn’t the look you’re going for).
Keep reading to find out if this Glamglow product will make you shiny and glamorous.
DISCLAIMER: This product was purchased by the blogger. Neetzy.com received NO compensation from Glamglow for this review. This review does not represent medical or professional advice, it is an opinion only. Photographs may not depict the exact color of the product.
MANUFACTURER’S DESCRIPTION OF GLOWSTARTER MOISTURIZER
- “created to boost the look of dull fatigued skin” – from product packaging
- featured ingredients include vitamins, botanicals, hyaluronic acid, TEAOXI Golden Root, jojoba oil, shea butter, and ceramide
- intended to “Blur, reflect, & enhance your complexion with Iridescent Illuminating Pearl Particles” – from Glamglowmud.com
- can be used on face, neck, and décolleté
- can be worn alone or with foundation
- jar contains 1.7 oz. (50 mL)
- made in USA
- opaque in jar with a peachy iridescent hue
- transparent on skin with a whitish, peachy shimmer
- orange and vanilla scent
- scent is quite noticeable and lingers for quite a while
- while the aroma smells somewhat natural, it also has an artificial candy or perfume scent
- scent likely contains artificial fragrance due to its potency
- thinner than a primer, but runnier than a cream (more of a light lotion)
- lightweight but full of mica
- thin and fluid (product folds over on itself if you dip your finger into jar and draw it out)
- quite slippery due to silicon ingredients, yet doesn’t feel dense on skin
- remains dewy on skin (doesn’t absorb completely)
- feels very moisturizing
- does leave a slippery, oily sensation on surface of skin
- very minimal coverage that provides a slight evenness to skin
- doesn’t conceal noticeable flaws
- one full application along with a touch up application provides very light coverage
- for better coverage, apply a thin layer of foundation (or concealer) on top of moisturizer
- doesn’t tend to ‘pill’ as long as you don’t use too much
TIPS FOR APPLICATION
This moisturizer tends to remain a little sticky (dewy) on the skin, even once absorbed. However, I’ve applied a thin layer of foundation on top almost immediately without any pilling.
- apply a thin to moderate layer to skin
- allow to dry for about 30 seconds, then dab another thin layer to areas that need a little extra coverage
- for more coverage, add a thin layer of foundation or touch up areas with concealer
- feels very hydrating and moisturizing
- jojoba oil and shea butter provide further moisturizing
- leaves skin feeling dewy and protected
- absorbs slowly
SKIN TONES & THIS PRODUCT
My skin has both pink and yellow undertones, so this color was idea for me. However, from certain vantage points, the product is a sort of warm white color. I do have my doubts that this product would work on darker skin hues.
If you have darker skin, I’d recommend swatching this product at your local Sephora before buying as it isn’t cheap. Also, Sephora and Glamglow are known to have good return policies if you are dissatisfied.
Also, don’t be turned off by the look of the sample product in stores. I peeked inside a jar on display at my local Sephora, and it looked disgusting (separated and mottled). This was likely from many people dipping their fingers into it. It seems that as air hints the product, it begins to separate (see the image below of a swatch I left on my hand for several minutes). However, the product doesn’t separate when applied to skin, and never separated in the jar I bought. The actual “unsampled” product looks beautiful and homogenous.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN GLAMGLOW GLOWSTARTER MOISTURIZER?
Water\Aqua\Eau, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Distearate, Cetyl Ricinoleate, Trisiloxane, Glyceryl Stearate Se, Cholesterol, Steareth-10, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Algae Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Saccharomyces Lysate Extract, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Ceramide Ng, Isohexadecane, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Sucrose, Polysorbate 80, Acrylamide/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Xanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Linoleic Acid, Panthenol, Fragrance (Parfum), Limonene, Citral, Linalool, Disodium Edta, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Sodium Citrate, Phenoxyethanol, [+/- Mica, Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491), Iron Oxides (Ci 77492), Iron Oxides (Ci 77499), Blue 1 (Ci 42090), Red 4 (Ci 14700), Red 33 (Ci 17200), Yellow 5 (Ci 19140)].
Product contains Petroleum Ingredients: YES (isohexadecane)
Product contains Silicone-based Ingredients: YES (dimethicone, trisiloxane)
Preservative Used: Phenoxyethanol, Disodium Edta
YOU MIGHT LIKE GLAMGLOW MOISTURIZER IF:
- you want a light weight moisturizer that offers hydration and moisturizing natural oils
- you want a product that provides a smooth surface for layering make-up
- you don’t expect this product to provide concealment or coverage of skin imperfections
- you don’t mind products that are moderately scented
NEETZY’S THOUGHTS ON GLAMGLOW GLOWSTARTER MOISTURIZER
The color of this product is stunning – a subtle mix of light gold and pink, resulting in a peachy-pink hue. With that said, a little goes a long way. Anything more than 2 layers and you’ll start shining like a Christmas ornament.
I was quite impressed that even with my imperfect complexion, I was able to achieve decent light coverage with one good base application plus an additional touch up application. I did need a thin layer of foundation on top to even out my skin tone. While I typically don’t like moisturizer containing silicons, I really liked the soft and even surface provided by this Glamglow moisturizer. It allowed me to use the tiniest amount of foundation, which spread very smoothly and quickly.
This is an indulgent product – the 2016 price at Sephora was $54 CAD, but went up to $59 CAD by mid-June. It’s definitely something you could live without.
But the practicality of this product is that you’ll save on foundation during those scorching summer days when it’s too hot and humid for a full face of make up. I think this product is especially great for people who can get away with no make-up, but who want a little glow. And for those like myself who do need some sort of coverage, it provides an excellent surface for a light application of foundation or concealer.
Keep in mind that even with a thin layer of foundation, the shimmer still peeks through, and it does tend to add a noticeable sheen to areas like the tip of your nose, forehead and cheeks. If you’d rather not bring attention to these areas, this product (even when applied sparsely) might not be for you.
If you don’t mind a bit of glow, this product will make applying make-up during the summer easy and lighter. From my testing, this product is best for people who have normal to dry skin who could use some help from jojoba oil and shea butter. While I do love this moisturizer and will likely use it often this summer, I’m still struggling a little with this highlighted, illuminating look because of the shine. Easy does it if you want to look natural.
WHERE TO BUY GLAMGLOW GLOWSTARTER MOISTURIZER
This product is offered at Sephora or can be purchased directly from the Glamglow website (ships to US-based addresses only).
At the time of publishing this review in 2016, Glamglow offered a 15% discount if you subscribed to their website (some restrictions may apply).
Neetzy.com is NOT an affiliate of Glamglow or Sephora.
- founded by Glenn & Shannon Dellimore in 2010
- available in retail stores in 2011
- purchased by The Estée Lauder Companies, Inc. in December 2014
WAS THIS REVIEW HELPFUL?
If so, please share – or leave your thoughts below, or tell us about your favorite illuminating product.