If you love the traditional orange and vanilla ice cream duo, you might like this Fable Naturals Vanilla Orange lip balm.
While subtle in flavor, this product is reminiscent of the old-fashioned ice cream treat. Note: I was a big fan of Buried Treasure ice pops when I was a kid – the one’s with the whimsical figures and animals hidden inside.
Fable Naturals has been around since 2012, with a skincare collection boasting fair-trade and organic ingredients. Their prices are surprisingly reasonable considering the ingredients. They also offer smaller-sized versions of their products so you can try a little before investing in a full-sized product.
Another unique feature of this product is it’s packaging. It’s comprised of sturdy, compostable cardboard.
Keep reading to find out more about this fair-trade product.
DISCLAIMER: This product was purchased by the blogger. Neetzy.com received NO compensation from Fable Naturals for this review. This review does not represent medical or professional advice, it is an opinion only. Photographs may not depict the exact color of the product.
MANUFACTURER’S DESCRIPTION OF PRODUCT
- “Never too waxy or oily” – from Fable Naturals website
- packaging is a compostable, biodegradable cardboard tube (breaks down within a few weeks in a compost bin)
- product size is 6 g
- contains fair-trade olive oil and cocoa butter
- several of the ingredients are organic
- pale yellow
- transparent on lips
AROMA & FLAVOR
- natural orange and vanilla scent
- scent is noticeable but not overwhelming
- orange aroma is more obvious than the vanilla
- mostly unflavored (slight taste of ingredients and subtle orange flavor)
- both the smell and flavor are mild and natural
- consistency is like that of a lip butter (but not too thick)
- goes on smoothly (not goopy)
- feels like a layer of cocoa butter on lips (but not waxy)
- gives lips a good coating (not waxy, but provides a protective layer)
- slight taste of the ingredients
- no off-putting taste
Fair-trade Organic Olive Oil, Candelilla Wax, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Castor Seed Oil, Fair-trade Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Carnauba Wax, Organic Orange Oil, Vanilla Absolute, Vitamin E.
YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS LIP BALM IF:
- you want a buttery-textured lip product
- you want thicker lip product that isn’t waxy or goopy
- you are looking for fair-trade products
- you like products that are mild in scent and taste natural
- you are looking for products in compostable packaging
- you don’t mind getting used to slightly different lip balm packaging
If you feel your lips need something more protective than traditional lip balm, this product might be an option. The consistency is that of a lip butter, but packaged in a tube. The texture isn’t quite waxy, but more like a good coating of plant butter. While the consistency is heavier and thicker than some tube balms, it isn’t sticky or goopy.
If you like really flavorful, aromatic products, this product might not suit you. The flavor and scent is very natural – noticeable, but not overpowering.
The packaging takes a little getting used to. I really love that the tube is biodegradeable – hopeufully more manufacturers will follow Fable Naturals lead in innovative packaging. However, the cover does tend to squish a little balm from time to time as you slide the lid on. I did find that I needed to clean the opening every so often due to this. But with that said, the cardboard is quite durable and sturdy (and seems to have a protective, waxy coating). It’s a small inconvenience to pay for less waste on the planet. The lid isn’t held in place as securely as plastic lip balm tubes, but it stays in place pretty good considering it is a cardboard tube.
I would be careful leaving this in a hot car, and avoid tossing it in your purse on a hot summer day in case it leaks from the cardboard tube (though the lid is quite secure).
WHERE TO BUY
This lip balm can be purchased directly from Fable Naturals webiste. An assortment of their products are also available at Ten Thousand Villages stores across Canada. Check their website for other retailers who carry their products.
At the time of publishing this review, FREE shipping was available on orders over $60 CAD within Canada and to the United States.
Neetzy.com is NOT and affiliate of Fable Naturals.
ABOUT FABLE NATURALS
- launched in May 2012 in Vancouver, BC
- collection includes skincare, lip balms, soap, and body products all boasting at least one fair-trade ingredient
- many products come in trial sizes (about half of the full-sized item)
WAS THIS REVIEW HELPFUL?
If so, please share – or leave your thoughts below, or tell us about your favorite fair-trade product.