This organic chocolate chai tea contains fair-trade rooibos, organic cacao, and an assortment of organic spices. It also contains chocolate flavoring and shortbread flavoring.
This chocolate tea isn’t overly spicy and the chocolate flavor is very subtle (to the point you might miss it if you didn’t know that cacao powder was the first ingredient).
Keep reading to find out if you’d add this chocolate tea to your collection.
DISCLAIMER: This product was purchased by the blogger. Neetzy.com received NO compensation from Zhena’s Gypsy Tea for this review. This review does not represent medical or professional advice, it is an opinion only. Photographs may not depict the exact color of the product.
MANUFACTURER’S DESCRIPTION OF CHOCOLATE CHAI TEA
- the fair-trade rooibos tea in this blend is from the Cedarburg Mountain Region of South Africa
- certified organic, fair-trade, vegan, and gluten-free
- eco-friendly tea sachets
HOW TO STEEP
Steep one sachet in 240 mL (1 cup) of boiling water for 3-5 minutes. For this review, I steeped the tea sachet for 5 minutes then stirred the bag in the hot water before removing.
COLOR OF STEEPED TEA
- cloudy burnt orange/brown
AROMA OF STEEPED TEA
- rooibos with subtle gingerbread notes
- slight cocoa scent as tea cools
- tastes mildly of chocolate and spices, paired with a mild licorice sweetness
- tastes more like a soft licorice spice tea
- mild spice flavors are mostly licorice and nutmeg
- overall, a very subtle tea
- sweetness of licorice
- subtle rooibos and chocolate flavors
YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS CHOCOLATE TEA IF:
- you like mild spicy tea with licorice flavors
- you don’t mind that the chocolate flavor is mostly missing
- you like the sweetness of licorice (though this tea isn’t very sweet)
NEETZY’S THOUGHTS ON THIS CHOCOLATE TEA
While this tea didn’t taste bad, it was pretty mild in terms of flavor. Licorice really stood out as the main flavor, as it remained on my palate even after I finished my cup of tea. The chocolate flavor wasn’t bold – in fact, it was mostly unnoticeable. For that reason, I wouldn’t buy this blend again as I was really expecting an obvious chocolate flavor. I’m surprised that the chocolate didn’t come through more as cacao powder is the first ingredient, and the blend is further fortified by organic chocolate flavoring.
However, for those tea drinkers who like mild teas and aren’t upset about the meek chocolate notes, this might be something to try if you want a different take on chai tea.
This product is available in a tin containing 22 “eco-friendly” tea sachets, or in a multi-flavor tin (see image below).
WHERE TO BUY THIS ZHENA’S GYPSY TEA
This product is available online at Zhena’s Gypsy Tea, as well as many retailers and online stores. For Canadian consumers, this product is available at Well.ca as well as London Drugs.
Neetzy.com is NOT an affiliate of these retailers or this product.
ABOUT ZHENA’S GYPSY TEA
- founded by Zhena Muzyka
- tea made using organic ingredients and fair-trade tea
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN THIS ORGANIC TEA?
Cacao powder*, Rooibos*, Cinnamon*, Chicory Root Roasted*, Ginger*, Chocolate Flavoring*, Licorice Root*, Cardamom*, Cloves*, Nutmeg*, Shortbread Flavoring (from distilled sugar)*, Orange Peel*, Black Pepper*.
* Certified Organic
WAS THIS REVIEW HELPFUL?
If so, please share – or leave a comment below if you’ve tried this Zhena’s Gypsy Tea blend.